West Midlands based Access Hire specialist and Access Link member, Platform Hire, has taken delivery of three Sterling plant bodies, fitted to DAF 6×2 chassis.
The high specification bodies include the key features that many of our Access Hire clients require for the safe loading and transportation of their machines. These include:
- double-flip ramps and double-break beavertail giving shallow loading angle
- central gate in ramp to maximise deck utilisation by placing booms through the ramp
- gridlock decking for extra grip and better airflow through the ramp giving improved fuel consumption
- gridlock decking coupled with 300mm spacing crossmembers giving improved point loading, especially important for small-wheeled machines such as scissor lifts
- 12,000lb electric winch to assist loading
- swing-out handrail system with walkway planks for improved operator safety
- chock rails to reduce the risk of machines coming off the side of the vehicle
The unique composite gridlock decking is particularly popular as the benefits offered far outweigh the small additional outlay. Client feedback has been very positive as most operators feel more assured due to the vastly reduced risk of an operator slip accident. In addition, the increased grip also means machinery is less likely to slip, again minimising the likelihood of an accident from machines sliding back down the slope or worse, off the edge! In this increasingly environmentally conscious world, the improved airflow through the ramp and improved fuel consumption not only means lower running cost for the operator but also, a reduction in the organisation’s carbon footprint.
Demonstrating clear corporate responsibility for their staff, Platform Hire specified Sterling’s swing-out handrail system which is unique by its ease of operation. It is a quick job to slacken the two straps, swing-out the posts and drop-in the walkway panels. This clearly encourages busy operators to utilise the system and minimise the risks of their job whilst still achieving their intensive delivery schedule.
In addition, Platform Hire benefitted from Sterling’s National Small Series certification for the Type Approval of the DAF 6×2 meaning there was no delay for IVA testing and therefore, on time delivery.
The benefits above are results of Sterling’s rigorous tripartite design process of improving
- reliability and
- operational safety
These all combine with Sterling’s market leading customer service to truly give ‘The Higher Standard!’
Grant Owen, Sales Executive for the project commented “David was a great guy to work for and I think this further Access Hire company added to Sterling’s client portfolio is a clear indicator that the Sterling product is the best specification beavertail body for the industry”